PGCE: Teacher Development programme from the University of London
SEE TEFL is proud to announce that it is working with Swan Education Group in managing the new PGCE: Teacher Development programme from the University of London.
The photo below was taken when Dean and Sawangwong Roberts (far right) from the Swan Education Group visited Senate House in London in December 2018 to discuss the PGCE with Mike Winter (far left) and Kim Insley (next to Mike) from the University of London.
If you are interested in learning more about this new University of London PGCE: Teacher Development course, please contact Dean Roberts at Swan Education. His contact details are below. For full course details visit the University of London’s website here.
PGCE: Teacher Development (online) with University of London
Key points, rationale and benefits
- Support the professional development needs of teachers working outside the UK in primary and secondary sectors by offering an internationally-recognized University of London (UoL) qualification. Member institution: UCL Institute of Education (IoE).
- Offer a contemporary PGCE Level 6 qualification studied 100% online – but with local support from experts at host schools in Thailand.
- Direct support from UoL to include: all course materials, video conferencing, and online discussion forums. Assessment of teachers’ work is carried out by UCL using E-Portfolios.
- Entire programme is studied in the teacher’s home country and some of the professional work should be rooted in local practice, research and enquiry.
- The UoL framework, knowledge base, and their leading position in the field provides a conceptual understanding of a teacher’s own practice in relation to current research in pedagogy and will guide teachers to acquire new skills in teaching.
- This course is designed for those with IELTS score 6.5 overall, and 6.0 in the writing module. Or alternatively, 18 months’ experience in studying in English or working in an English language environment will be accepted.
- Entrance level is undergraduate degree OR appropriate Level 4/5 qualification. For example, Cambridge PDQ Level 4 + local degree if accredited with a recognized university. Those with PDQ Level 4 – please apply to Swan Education Group direct.
Swan Education Group Role:
- Offer local expertise in supporting professional development:
- Organise and deliver a 2-day induction at Varee International School in Chiang Mai.
- Support and counsel teachers on the course as they navigate their way through the two modules. Additional, local, small-group seminars can be arranged. An advisory service is also offered – offering formative feedback on work in progress.
- Set up and carry out the required mentoring in the teacher’s own school. Module 1 of the PGCE requires six observed lessons.
Swan Education Group Responsibilities:
- With partner schools, promote and advocate the PGCE: Teacher development qualification locally and nationally to build traction and invite further cohorts.
- Marshal further interest among networks in South East Asia (Myanmar, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia).
- Demonstrate a duty of care for this new PGCE program; to include an element of quality assurance under the guidance of the UoL regional development team.